For the dressing
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1 tablespoon orange zest
· 2 tablespoons orange juice
· 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
· 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
· 2 tablespoons buttermilk
· 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
· 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary
· 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the salad
· 1 large bunch spinach
· 3 oranges, or other sweet-tasting citrus
· 1 large pomegranate
· 1/2 shallot, sliced paper thin
· 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
· sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. To make dressing, one at a time, whisk zest, juice, vinegar, mustard, and buttermilk into olive oil. Add shallots, rosemary, and sea salt. Set aside while you prepare salad.
2. Cut very top and bottom off of oranges. Carefully slice off peel, removing white pith while sparing as much flesh as possible. Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
3. Pour most of the dressing over the spinach; turn with fingers to coat.
4. Spread spinach on a large platter and tuck oranges throughout. Scatter with pomegranate arils and shallots. Finish with a final drizzle of dressing, a scattering of rosemary leaves, a pinch of sea salt, and several twists fresh pepper.